Flight School Visa for International Students

Mauna Loa Helicopters offers both the F-1 and M-1 visas for international students interested in obtaining a flight school visa to train full-time at Mauna Loa Helicopters in a designated program of study.
Click here to download Mauna Loa Helicopter’s Visa procedures.

About the F-1 Visa

Mauna Loa is proud to offer the F-1 visa. The F-1 visa allows a student to stay in the United States upon training completion, and gain practical experience while working as Flight Instructor either for our school or another school in the U.S. Flight training can be more expensive in some countries so many students choose to train in the U.S. Having the opportunity to work in the U.S. after training allows pilots to gain more flight time and experience prior to converting their license in their home country or the country they are later hired in.

Students with previous training experience must submit application materials in order for the school to determine if they are eligible for participation in the F-1 visa program.

Extension opportunities after graduation:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) 

After graduation of the Professional Pilot Program, our graduates can apply for a position as a flight instructor. On an F-1 visa, this is possible though the CPT program, while working toward the requirements for an Airline Transport Certificate (ATP). This CPT status is issued for 12 months and can be extended. Mauna Loa Helicopters strives to hire its own graduates, however employment in not a guarantee.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) 

If you graduate from the Professional Pilot Program and you desire is to work anywhere else in the United States as a pilot, there is the opportunity to apply for the OPT. After receiving the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and finding a job within 60 days, the OPT status allows you to work and stay in the USA for an additional 12 months.

Please feel free to contact the school for further information.

About the M-1 Visa

The M-1 Visa is used for both short term stays while working towards a specific goal such as PVT or COM rating, and for our entire Professional Pilot Program.

M-1 can be issued for 12 months and is extendable if needed. Students must return to their home country within 30 days after their flight school visa has expired.

License Verification

For pilots already in possession of a foreign pilot license (ICAO), Private Pilot License (PVT) or higher, then you may apply for a restricted FAA Private Pilot License without any additional fees or examinations. Get more information here.

Planning your American adventure? Let your friends know.